Get Gum Disease under control with Periodontal Therapy
More adults lose teeth to periodontal disease than any other reason. Yet, with a combination of good home care and regular checkups, gingivitis is mainly preventable. Even when the condition has progressed, it can be managed with effective gum disease treatment. At Innovative Dental Care in Omaha, Nebraska, periodontal therapy is as unique as the patient receiving treatment.
Signs of gum disease
Oral pathogens multiply quickly in a protective film of sticky plaque, feeding on starches and sugars left behind by your meals. Their acidic excretions irritate soft tissues. If not removed promptly, plaque hardens into tartar at the gum line, causing further irritation.
Gums recede and lose their seal to the teeth, allowing bacteria to move deeper. That triggers inflammation and infection, which breaks down ligaments and bones that anchor teeth. They get loose and fall out or must be extracted. Gum disease is also linked to grave systemic health conditions, including diabetes, cardiovascular disease, respiratory ailments, and more.
Common warning signs of gum disease include:
- Puffy, discolored gums
- Bleeding gums
- Persistent bad breath or odd taste
- Gum infection (pus around teeth)
- Teeth look long with areas of exposed root surface
- Sensitivity or tenderness
- Loose teeth
- Changes in bite
A multi-dimensional approach to periodontal therapy
Many factors influence how your body reacts to treatment for gum disease – health, medications, genetics, types of bacteria present, stage of the condition, diet, and lifestyle. That’s why Dr. Summer Gutschow and the team at Innovative Dental Care do not believe in “one size fits all” treatment. Our team is experienced in multiple techniques to control patients’ gum disease and then maintain the healthiest oral state possible.
Periodontal therapy includes a personalized combination of one or more of the following:
- Prophy – gentle, professional teeth cleaning
- Gross debridement – more aggressive removal of plaque and tartar build-up
- Scaling and root planing – deep cleaning below the gum line
- Flap surgery – reduction of periodontal pockets around teeth
- Arestin – a locally-applied prescription antibiotic
- Perio Protect – non-invasive at-home therapy
- Receding gums treatment – soft tissue surgery to reduce sensitivity and restore appearance
- Tooth replacement – dental implants, dental bridges, and dentures
Please browse through our website for more information on the above services. Then call (402) 933-8005 to schedule an appointment with our skilled team – because you only get one set of adult teeth.